We build and maintain secure communications systems for clients all over the world using both off the shelf and custom-developed software and hardware. Our mantra is, “If you don’t own it, it’s not yours.” This drives how we think about building systems. We manage our systems from farm to table. We take security to an extreme, while maintaining ease of use for clients.
While most enterprise security solutions protect only the content of communications, we go further to protect both the content and context of communications. We engineer our own infrastructure and build and maintain servers, networks, and storage – both in the virtual and physical environments. Our engineers take customer requirements and turn them into unique, high-performing systems that are efficient and cost effective. We also provide 24/7 support to our clients through our Network Security Operations Center, so we can immediately respond to any client needs that arise from a system we’ve created.
Our systems team members appreciate working on solutions that are complex and varied, yet small and agile. Our engineers do a lot of hard core applied science, as opposed to getting bogged down with maintenance and bureaucratic paperwork. Our percentage of O&M vs. engineering differs greatly from large-scale enterprise networks.
Team Member Spotlight
What did you work on yesterday?
I spent a lot of time learning about new software and programs that I'm being exposed to for the first time. In addition, I generated a report for our backup jobs. I’m basically learning as I’m tasked at Ridgeline. I spent time with one of our new Sys Admins, providing guidance on installations. I also did some configuration of the monitoring system that feeds into our Network Security Operations Center – I added a couple additional servers that need to be monitored.
How would you describe what you do at Ridgeline?
I set up and configure software used for monitoring and alerting us when there are system issues. I make it easy to search security logs. Almost everything I do at Ridgeline is new to me – I’m used to working in Windows and here I work on Linux which is outside of my comfort zone. I build servers with Linux operating systems so everything about the environment is completely new.
Why did you come to Ridgeline?
I knew I wanted to work in a small company because I like it when work feels like family. I like having close relationships with my team and across the whole company, which is how it feels at Ridgeline. I really liked what Adam (the recruiter) told me about Ridgeline’s corporate culture and the benefits. I was excited to keep moving forward in the interview process. During my in-person interview I expressed that I didn’t want to be siloed, and the leadership team assured me that would not be the case. There would be lots of opportunities to learn new technology if I wanted it. All of the things they’ve told me are true.
Why have you stayed at Ridgeline?
I’m fairly new but I want to stay here as long as they want to keep me. I love the culture. The people are really nice. There are SO many smart people to learn from. I can’t believe how much I’ve grown technically in the time I’ve been here. People are really helpful; when I get stuck, they are very generous with their knowledge. In previous jobs that has not been the case – I’ve worked with plenty of people who do not want to share. That’s not how Ridgeline is at all.
What advice would you give to someone considering working at Ridgeline? Why should they do it? Why should they not?
Ridgeline is an amazing company. Everybody is so warm – peers, admin staff, management and senior leadership - I feel like I really belong here. Like they truly care about me. I’ve never experienced that in other companies. Ridgeline is very different. Sometimes I ask myself, “Why would I ever want to leave?” People just need to find out for themselves. I’ve been especially grateful during the COVID-19 pandemic – Erik creates these videos about how the company is doing and I feel so blessed and secure to be part of this team. I love it here and I’m excited to come to work every day.
What kind of things do you enjoy outside of work?
I like doing outdoor activities – walking, hiking, and playing tennis. I love doing crafts – recently I’ve been sewing masks and sending them to family members. I enjoy cooking, baking, video games, board games, anime, in fact I attend 1-2 anime conventions every year. I love photography and am planning to use my hobby allowance to take a photography class this year, maybe a firearms class and some dance lessons as well.
Life at Ridgeline
Our people matter. We know everyone says that - here’s how we prove it:
- We’ll contribute 20% of your base salary to your 401k, regardless of whether or not you contribute anything at all. This is our way of saying, “Thanks for taking a chance on us and helping us build this company.”
- We have a self-managed PTO plan. As a company, we want to support a holistic and engaged lifestyle; we want you to enjoy life outside of work - and we want you to take care of yourself and the people you love when you need to. Burnout is bad for both you and us.
- We have flexible work schedules. You’ll be able to work with your supervisor to figure out what’s best for your situation (we all know the chaos of living in the DMV).
- We’ll give you $2500 each year to buy clothes. When you look good, you feel good. And we think it’s just kind of fun!
- We’ll give you $2000 each year to spend on a hobby. We want our people to be bursting with creativity and innovative ideas. That doesn’t happen in a vacuum! We want to support interesting endeavors and believe it pays off for us in the long run.
- We have a sweet office space that’s right on the Silver Line, with nitro cold brew on tap, sparkling water, legit snacks, and oodles of natural light. We like being here!
- We are well resourced and will make sure you have what you need to do your job well. Get the technology and training you need – we’re a learning organization.
- We’ll treat you like an adult and give you a voice. We want you to build this company with us. We’re figuring it out together and creating something special. We want you to speak up and help make this the kind of company you want to work for. We like it here and like each other.