In regards to cybersecurity we pride ourselves on blending real world operational experience, sophisticated technical capabilities, and the creative advancement of novel technologies to serve our clients' needs. We create tailored solutions to solve our clients’ unique cybersecurity challenges. We are always innovating and offer courses, services, and products to help our clients better operate in any environment around the world.
Our specialization in offensive cyber capabilities feeds innovation within our defensive capacity. We hunt for zero-days to prepare for their impact on our clients. We built an advanced offensive cyber-range to simulate the worst-case scenario for our clients to ensure our tools and techniques survive. We use our offensive cyber capability as a tool during training exercises to demonstrate how the theories are applied against our clients. We use our methodology to bridge the divide between operations and cybersecurity.
Our cyber team members appreciate the opportunity to break new ground. We have a “no holds barred” mentality when it comes to figuring out how to support our clients through offensive and defensive cyber operations. Our cyber team collaborates closely with every other part of the company and is always figuring out new and innovative ways to apply some ingenious idea they had while driving to work.
Team Member Spotlight
What did you work on yesterday?
Yesterday I worked on a secure communications app that uses commercial, off-the-shelf (COTS) technology. I linked up with a few program managers so I could update them on the status of the project. We’ve been doing some functional testing on the application and I wanted to make sure I understood their intentions for the solution and confirmed they’re happy with the direction we’re going in. I coordinated with Chris who wrote the code for that app. Part of my job is to convey how the app is actually working vs. how the developer thinks it’s working before it goes to an end user. I also worked with Connor, a different software developer who’s writing the code for a separate Android app. I was providing guidance and mentoring, explaining how this app will integrate with a larger system we’re creating.
How would you describe what you do at Ridgeline?
I call myself a “professional enabler.” I bridge the gap between the end user and the software guy. I am an advocate for the end user. There’s the cool guys who are using the device and the guys who aren’t cool but bring the technical ability. I’m the second one. I’m not the pointy end of the spear but I am the shank. If you let the pointy end of the spear guy be in charge, we’d be cowboys with no security. If you let the guy who makes the system be in charge we’d be super secure but no one would use the device. I help find the balance. I make sure the right hand knows what the left hand is doing and connect dots between teams so we’re not duplicating efforts.
Why did you come to Ridgeline?
I heard about Ridgeline before I came here. A former boss had attended a course at Ridgeline and came back raving about how great the course was. Later, a recruiter from Ridgeline reached out to me and eventually I realized it was the company my old boss was talking about. I explored the opportunity and found out what they were doing really was as amazing as my boss had said.
Why have you stayed at Ridgeline?
I love what we do here and I really like how we do it. We’re a pretty flat organization - I can just go ask someone the questions I have. I don’t have to fight through ten layers of bureaucracy to get to them. I don’t have a day where I think I’ll be bored. I love the culture.
What advice would you give to someone considering working at Ridgeline? Why should they do it? Why should they not?
Ridgeline is a unique environment. People used to thriving in chaos do really well here. So do people who like to get outside their comfort zone. If you want to be challenged you should do it. You’re not gonna be the smartest person in the room the majority of the time. You will have someone come to you with a problem and looking for a solution. You will need to be able to come up with an idea and find someone else who’s smarter than you who can make it work.
If you want to know exactly what you’ll be doing in the next year, you should not come here. We are very responsive to customer needs and often get requirements with a really tight turn-around. The core environment here is, “Surprise! Something changed.” It’s important to know that.
What kind of things do you enjoy outside of work?
I love hanging out with my wife and kids. I’ve got two boys at home and a daughter in college. My boys and I have gotten into 3D printing. We have a printer in the basement and we’ve got it running almost all the time. We do everything from making ear savers for COVID masks to creating devices so the boys can spy on their older sister. I go shooting as much as I can, play video games with the kids and really enjoy fishing.
Life at Ridgeline
Our people matter. We know everyone says that - here’s how we prove it:
- We’ll contribute 20% of your base salary to your 401k, regardless of whether or not you contribute anything at all. This is our way of saying, “Thanks for taking a chance on us and helping us build this company.”
- We have a self-managed PTO plan. As a company, we want to support a holistic and engaged lifestyle; we want you to enjoy life outside of work - and we want you to take care of yourself and the people you love when you need to. Burnout is bad for both you and us.
- We have flexible work schedules. You’ll be able to work with your supervisor to figure out what’s best for your situation (we all know the chaos of living in the DMV).
- We’ll give you $2500 each year to buy clothes. When you look good, you feel good. And we think it’s just kind of fun!
- We’ll give you $2000 each year to spend on a hobby. We want our people to be bursting with creativity and innovative ideas. That doesn’t happen in a vacuum! We want to support interesting endeavors and believe it pays off for us in the long run.
- We have a sweet office space that’s right on the Silver Line, with nitro cold brew on tap, sparkling water, legit snacks, and oodles of natural light. We like being here!
- We are well resourced and will make sure you have what you need to do your job well. Get the technology and training you need – we’re a learning organization.
- We’ll treat you like an adult and give you a voice. We want you to build this company with us. We’re figuring it out together and creating something special. We want you to speak up and help make this the kind of company you want to work for. We like it here and like each other.